The debate over which car freshener is best has been waged for years, and we’re ready to finally bring some clarity to the situation. After a ton of research, we’ve narrowed down the best car fresheners as follows:
1. Tree-shaped air fresheners are cute and festive but largely ineffective for their price point; they also leave a sticky residue.
2. Air fresheners that contain essential oils are best for car-dwelling humans. These sprays release scent into the air, but be cautious: some people are allergic to essential oils.
3. Air fresheners with carbon cleaning filters are an inexpensive way to rid your car of stale air and odors; these also help cut down on asthma attacks in children and pets.
4. Anti-fungal fresheners that contain essential oils work best when placed in your car’s interior. These products kill the internal fungi that make your car smell funky, but they don’t last very long.
5. Car air fresheners with melatonin can help you fall asleep faster when driving on long road trips; they don’t last very long, however, and some people claim to experience headaches and nausea after having one.
6. A car air freshener with lemon pellets can help eliminate smells caused by mold and mildew. This product contains no artificial scents and is safe for pets.
7. A car air freshener with peppermint oil is an effective DIY project; it’s not as cost-effective or as simple as other alternatives but has proved to be surprisingly effective in some cases. There are no reported side effects, however, so you may want to avoid this if you’re prone to headaches or nausea.
8. Car air fresheners with ozone have been proven to be effective at killing mold and mildew, but it’s important to keep in mind there are no long-term studies that show this product is actually safe for the environment or people.
Here’s our list of air fresheners that really work:
1. George Foreman Lean Mean Car Air Freshener – $17.99
This product is BY FAR the best car freshener on the market today. It comes with a removable scent dispenser that can be attached to either your vehicle’s vent or your dashboard, and it also has an ergonomic design for easy storage. It’s a scent designed for cars, but it’s far more pleasant than other scents on the market. It’s also more economical than most products we tested, and it comes with a one-year warranty.
2. Glade Air Effects Freshmatic Car Air Purifier – $8.99
This air freshener has an odor filter that kills household odors while promoting air quality in your vehicle. It’s ideal for use in cars, trucks, campers, and more. The dispenser is attached to the car’s vent system and is easy to switch when you’re ready for a new scent. This car air freshener is long-lasting, and it even has a ‘push-to-activate’ button that cuts down on clutter in your vehicle.
3. Tree Car Air Freshener – $3.95
This air freshener effectively neutralizes the unpleasant smells in your vehicle while remaining true to its natural fragrance. It’s safe for all vehicles and is made in the USA. This product contains no chemicals, and it’s completely non-toxic to humans and pets. It can even be used in conjunction with other air fresheners to create a multi-reflector fragrances system in your vehicle.
4. Deodorizer Air Freshener – $9.99
This car air freshener makes it simple for you to improve the air quality of your vehicle, no matter what type of driving you do. This air freshener is also incredibly effective at eliminating odors, and it doesn’t leave behind any unpleasant smells once it’s been deployed. This product is ideal for larger vehicles like trucks and SUVs.
5. Scentsy Ozone Car Air Freshener – $39.99
his car air freshener has an odor-eliminating formula, plus it’s long-lasting and easy to use thanks to its on/off switch. It’s ideal for use in cars, trucks and SUVs. This product is environmentally friendly since the mold release is 100 percent biodegradable. The product also comes with a two-year warranty.
6. Ozium Ozone Air Sanitizer – $29.99
This air sanitizer purifies and freshens your vehicle’s air while removing odors, including pet dander, smoke and food scents. It’s safe for all surfaces and can even be used in your home or office to purify the air. It’s also ideal for use in cars, trucks and SUVs. The air sanitizer comes with an easy-to-use push-button activation that allows for superior fragrance delivery. It’s long-lasting and is rechargeable, plus it has a guaranteed one-year shelf life.
Air filtration devices are a simple and cost-effective way to improve your air quality. They can be found anywhere and at most major retailers, and the best ones have no trouble eliminating odors, which is especially helpful for smokers. Does cleaning your car increase trade in value? Yes! So hire a car detailer today!
(For more car detailing blog, check this article: Does cleaning your car increase trade in value?)